Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Project 365: Day 250 -- Chillaxin'

If anyone knows how to chill and relax, it's a cat. Let's face it, your typical house cat sleeps 13 to 16 hours a day--2/3 of his life is spent in dreamland. Well, it's no surprise that I'm very much a cat person, and I too can sleep up to 10-12 hours a day on a regular basis. I try not to, mind you, but that requires an outside force (i.e. alarm clock, husband, or a hungry cat) to wake me up. Left to my own devices, I would sleep 10 hours a day, every day. I can function on 8 hours, though.

I can also sleep, at least briefly, almost anywhere. Probably not on a rickety antique table, but certainly in the car, on the sofa, or even at my desk if I get desperate enough. One place I have a really hard time sleeping though is an airplane. That's miserable. When I was young and skinny and limber, I could curl up in the seat and rest my head on my knees to sleep. Not physically possible anymore! This, among so many other reasons, is why getting old sucks.

Woofy sleeps in the most odd places and positions. Sometimes he has all four legs up in the air. Seconds before I took this photo, his head was hanging upside down over the side of the table. He moved when he heard my lens focus. When he was a kitten, he loved to sleep in a dish of potpourri on the table. Made him smell pretty good, but made a mess when he climbed out. Some times he actually sleeps on the bed, with a pillow. He tends to have cycles of favorite spots. This week it's this table. Last week it was my lap every time I sat down. Before that it was the arm of the sofa.

Humans should take a lesson from cats and just relax. Our lives are typically so busy and over-scheduled that we never rest. Especially Americans. If we have an hour a day without something scheduled or designated, we feel that we are wasting time and being lazy. But we need down time. Time to let our thoughts wander, to contemplate, to just be...so take a cue from a cat. Chill...

No comments:

Post a Comment