Monday, May 25, 2009

Project 365: Day 144 -- Goodbye Ireland, Hello Tennessee!

A parting shot as we head to the airport. Once there, we returned the rental car, (hoping they wouldn't notice we'd had to put the spare on after in incident with a curb in Athlone caused a tire bubble) and checked in at the Delta counter.

We had time to spare, so I picked up some matted prints in the gift shop by photographer Sean Tomkins of Galway--three beautiful images:

1. Dunguaire Castle at sunset from a vantage point I didn't see when I was there.
2. The Cliffs of Moher from the bottom, at sunset
3. Part of the coastline of County Clare that I never saw.

Kelly thought I was nuts to buy images when I had shot nearly 2,000 of my own, but these are beautiful images that I couldn't capture myself.

Then we dealt with all the VAT refunds, got through security, passport control, and the pre-cursor to U.S. Customs. Then we waited for our flight.

We managed to get seats together on this flight, and we were just forward of the wing. So it was a much more comfortable flight than the one to Ireland. But still, it's a six and a half hour flight in coach.

When we arrived in New York, we tried to catch an earlier flight to Nashville to avoid our six hour layover. But the only earlier flight had just left moments before we arrived. So once again, we spent a great deal of time in JFK International. On Memorial Day weekend. Not a pleasant experience, let me tell you. The place was jam packed, wall-to-wall people. And hot and stuffy. And a little smelly. Eventually, we made it out of there and back home, travel weary, jet lagged, and exhausted. Did you get that we were a bit tired? It felt like 4 o'clock in the morning to us, and we'd been up since 6 o'clock the previous morning. Didn't I mention in an earlier post that air travel sucks, and the getting to and from part of your vacation is no fun at all? Yeah, I think I mentioned that.

Oh, and by the way, it took Woofey half an hour to forgive us when we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment