Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Project 365: Day 216 -- Before All Hell Broke Loose

Tonight I got together with a few other local photographers to do some night shooting downtown. We hope to make this a monthly get-together, with the goal of stretching our skills and creative process.

On this particular night, there were some storms predicted to move into the area. We had hoped to get quite a bit of shooting done first, but it didn't work out that way. We started out across the river from downtown, in the Titan's Stadium parking lot. We walked over the pedestrian bridge and got this barge shot on the way. It wasn't quite dark yet, so we were mostly playing around with testing settings and such.

About the time it was getting really dark, and we were really getting serious about shooting, the storm was getting much closer. We headed back over the bridge, stopping in the middle for a few shots. After about 5 minutes, the wind was wistling under the bridge, and the lightning was shattering the sky. We practically ran back to our cars just in time for the skies to open up and all hell to break loose. Kelly had called me on my cell to tell me NOT to drive home yet--it was just too bad on the west side. So we all headed to Blackstone Brewery to ride out the worst of the storm.
Eventually it subsided enough to head home. Then I got stuck in a major traffic jam on I-40, where there was a 5 car pile up and the emergency crews were cutting someone out of a vehicle. And when I finally got to my neighborhood, I had to take a detour because of downed trees and power lines across the road. I was glad when I finally got home around 11:00 PM.


No comments:

Post a Comment